Jun 14, 2011
(please note: this position has been filled)
Stamen Design is an internationally-recognized leader in the design of mapping and data visualization projects, located in San Francisco's Mission District. We are engaged in an active process of growing our capacity and are looking to hire an Operations and Finance Director who can help the studio develop a thriving and sustainable model for growth, while maintaining the unique and innovative culture that has defined Stamen since 2001. We are always growing in one way or another, and we need a level head and a battle-seasoned operator to manage the operations side of our business so we can continue to deliver outstanding work for our clients.
Requirements and experience:
- Capacity to future-think, while maintaining the ability to operate in the present. This is a big thinking, set strategy kind of job. It's also a get down and dirty, call the client who hasn't paid their bill, fill out the Google Spreadsheet, and figure out why the bank password isn't working kind of job. We'll need you to design and own the processes you need to do great work.
- Prior experience in helping a service organization facilitate its way through growing pains while helping to hold the vision of where it is going as an organization. We are 12 people now and we need someone who understands what it means to be here. We want you to know enough about organizations like ours to be able to have an opinion about what we do.
- Ability to not only deliver at the operational level, but have the foresight to ask questions about what you see, in order to enable the studio to achieve its goals.
- A systems-driven hybrid who can relate to the operations of Stamen with phenomenal integrity for the people who work here. Attention to detail is essential for this job.
- Experience in how to leverage existing capacity within an organization and turn it into what we need to deliver on the other side.
- Possess a natural people sense, and understand how to translate the operational and financial to people.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Financial planning and reporting, including monitoring and budgeting project revenues, costs and cash flows
- Accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Work closely with project managers to ensure scheduling and timely completion of all deliverables
- HR and staff-related activities
- Marketing and communications oversight
- Development of metrics to measure organizational and financial goals
- Design of feedback loops necessary to achieve team happiness and organizational effectiveness
- Proactively identify places that are problems, and proactive presentation of these issues. Manage the CEO's needs for reporting on all operations and finance-related aspects of the business
- 5-10 years of operations and finance experience. An MBA would be nice but experience will count for more
- A deep interest and passion in design and technology
- Excellent writing and presentation ability, and critical thinking skills
- Proven ability to plan and execute resourcefully, with minimal supervision, and to work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative problem-solving environment while also working independently, juggling multiple priorities and deadlines, and accomplishing tasks on time
- Exemplary interpersonal skills
If this sounds like you, and you'd like to work with a group of interesting and interested people who are serious about what they do and how much fun they have doing it, please send your resume and a bit about you to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please